When the weather changes from warm to cold, our cats are in danger of becoming fatally ill. To be a responsible guardian, we need to be aware of their surroundings and make them totally safe for our furry friends.
Anti-freeze is one danger that can be deadly to our cats due to the chemical, ethylene glycol. Since cats have a keen sense of smell and curiosity in abundance, they are attracted to the scent of the poison. Once they have found the deadly liquid, they are tempted to sample it and find that it is enticingly sweet. Before we know it, we have a very sick cat on our hands.
So, we might think that it would be perfectly safe if the container has the cap on, right? Wrong! What if a tiny bit dripped down the side of the container? That small drip might be enough to attract him to it and, after a lick or two, we might find ourself rushing our little darling to the vet. If our baby found a puddle of the sweet-smelling stuff under a car and drank it, chances are much more likely that the poison substance would kill him.
There is another type of anti-freeze that contains propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol. This chemical is touted as completely safe for consumption. While it is safer than its counterpart, it still is dangerous and should be treated with the same care as anti-freeze containing ethylene glycol.
If you think that your cat might have consumed anti-freeze or any other poison, please contact the Pet Poison Hotline at (855) 764-7661.
Our thanks go out to: